Monday, March 22, 2010

Green Tomato Pickle Progress

I now have 4 jars of very tasty Green Tomato Pickle. You can find the simple recipe at www.abc.net.au/tasmania/recipes , look for Chef Sally Wise Green Tomato Pickle. It's a very easy recipe and there is something special about using your own produce. If you don't grow your own, they are available at some of the grower's markets.
I am slowly saying farewell to my backyard garden. Last week saw the disappearance of my two hens, Peri & Satay. They are now staying with a friend's chickens, enjoying a much larger enclosure and undoubtedly the attentions of a few roosters who also reside there. We have begun moving the garden beds to allow the lawn to grow back in preparation for selling & moving. All that is left of the vege patch is a rather large, unidentified melon vine of some sort that is gradually taking over. It grew from seed in my compost heap and being curious, I have left it to see what might eventually produce.
It makes me think of those verses in Matthew 12:33 Make the tree good and its fruit good or else make the tree bad and its fruit bad; for a tree is known by its fruit. I am yet to see if this vine's fruit is good... watermelon? or bad... paddy melon? but it cannot produce anything other than what it has contained in it. v35 A good man out of the treasure of his heart brings forth good things,and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things. May giving glory to God be the treasure of my heart and from that may good things grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment