Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Christmas is Coming...

I know for some others, the sight of tinsel in the shops sends them in to a terrified panic. Not me... I love the anticipation of celebrating Christmas. This year has been no different. After the first announcement of the Christmas Pageant I have been counting down the days...waiting to put up our Christmas tree and decorations. I love the sparkle and lights, the colour and even the aroma of Christmas. I even have some scented candles that come out only at this time of year to scent this special time. Do I get caught up in the materialism and party mentality of Christmas...? I make it my aim not to and I specifically aim to choose decorations that bring me back to the truth of Christ in our celebration.


I love our Nativity set. (A gift from my wonderful motherinlaw.) and our Nativity wall hanging which has parts made by my mother and parts made by me.

On our tree I have colours of purple and gold to remind me that Christ in the manger is Christ the King. The christmas balls tell me that He came to save the whole world, the angels and stars bring me back to the first Christmas story and the musical instruments remind me He is worthy of all praise.

Each year, when we and my husband's side of the family go camping together, I find a Christmas ornament in one of the local gift shops. Lately they have been beautiful birds. To me they speak of His sacrifice. The poverty He found when He came to this earth. His earthly parents could afford only the poorest offering as they presented Him to the LORD. "and to offer a sacrifice according to what is said in the law of the LORD, "A pair of turtledoves or two young pigeons."" Luke 2:24

What an amazing contrast.

The spectacular King of the universe, clothed in the majesty of purple and gold, too poor to offer more than two ordinary turtledoves, yet rich enough to give His all. Praise Him!
(I have tried to upload a few pictures but only the Nativity set picture will work. Seems fitting.)

No comments:

Post a Comment